Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediment...

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved. (Shakespeare - Sonnet CXVI)
I think this sonnet of Shakespeare's is my favourite. Specially the first few
lines.
I love the musicality of its ryhythmic lines as well as its suggestion
about what love might be. In the endless productions and reproductions, the
centuries of contemplations on Love, I find this to always stand out. I wonder
how many will love with a marriage of true minds, and find a love that does not
alter or bend, which is a ever fixed mark, looking on tempests and not shaken.
Having said all of this, I am not quite sure that Shakespeare was the greatest
of lovers after all! Which makes it a bit dubious after all. But then at the end of
the day, there are many whose theory might be celebrated although they are
unable to sustain it. Still I like the poem - it epitomises a kind of relationship
that one suspects is somewhat rare - both then and now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home